Junior Varsity girls soccer makes a comeback

After+playing%2C+Jefferson+girls+junior+varsity+soccer+team+giving+high+fives+to+Justice+junior+varsity+girls+after+a+game.+%E2%80%9CI%E2%80%99m+so+glad+I+got+to+have+this+experience+and+play+with+my+friends%2C%E2%80%9D++Berhe+said.+
Ronald Saba
After playing, Jefferson girls junior varsity soccer team giving high fives to Justice junior varsity girls after a game. “I’m so glad I got to have this experience and play with my friends,” Berhe said.

Girls junior varsity soccer team put an end to their 2024 spring season winning their last two games out of 13. 

The team faced many hardships during their season. Many players noticed several issues causing them to lose all the games they played at the beginning of the season. One of the most prominent being a lack of players.

“A lot of people didn’t show up for the games and we only had 19 players overall,” midfielder freshman Catherine Lopez-Gomez said. “Other schools we went up against would have 20-25, so if a player was injured that would hurt our games.”

Another issue was that the team had a lot of basic skill development to do before they could advance to the next level. 

“You can’t reach complex tricks unless you have the small things done. So [our coaches] strengthened the basics,” freshman left-wing  Lulya Berhe said.

Despite losing multiple games the team never gave up, and worked hard to get better. The team consistently kept a positive mindset and put in more effort to stop kicking the ball out, pushing towards the net and scoring penalty kicks. 

“We kept trying to communicate and work on things for each other that we noticed were problems, [while] still being encouraging,” Berhe said. 

Their coaches also played one of the most important roles in the team’s success. The coaches’ expertise and dedication were crucial in creating a culture of teamwork, perseverance, and improvement within the team.

“Our coaches provided a lot of guidance and kept us motivated,” Lopez-Gomez said. 

After winning their first game of the season, the team’s confidence skyrocketed. Which helped them gain impressive victories and accomplishments. The girls scored 75% of their cumulative goals during these three final games.

“It made us more confident when we were playing, especially the game right after,” Lopez-Gomez said. “We knew what we were capable of and we weren’t shying away. We came into the game starting off way stronger than before.”

View Comments (1)

• E

elainaJun 12, 2024 at 7:20 am

very insightful

Reply