One man’s trash is another man’s treasure

Thrifting is the best way to go, not only for the environment but also for your bank account
Next+time+youre+feeling+stressed%2C+take+a+break+and+go+to+a+thrift+store%2C+like+this+Goodwill%2C+to+destress+and+relax.+
R. Dar
Next time you’re feeling stressed, take a break and go to a thrift store, like this Goodwill, to destress and relax.

Buying just one white cotton shirt produces the same amount of emissions as driving 35 miles in a car. Finding ways to limit our overconsumption of clothing is crucial to improving environmental health. From shopping at brands that put sustainability first to sewing personal clothes, there are a multitude of solutions. However, not everyone has the money to shop from sustainable brands or the time to craft their own clothes. That’s where thrifting comes in handy. 

When most people think of thrifting, they think of purchasing second-hand clothes for cheap, but there’s more to it than that. Many thrift franchises also work to help their communities. One major thrifting franchise, Goodwill, has re-entry services aimed at helping previously incarcerated individuals find work. The Goodwill Community Employment Center helps individuals with resumes and the job application process. 

Going thrifting is a great way for you to socialize with your friends and family. You’ll be so busy spending time with them you won’t have time to stress about your upcoming assignments or tests. You’ll notice your mental health skyrocket along with your sense of style.

With all the clothes at the thrift store, it’s impossible not to find an outfit that you love. Additionally, lots of current fashion trends stem from vintage and sustainable clothing. Celebrities and media personnel are shifting their focus to thrifting as a way to find cute, vintage and sustainably sourced clothes for the right price. 

On the other hand, viral “thrift-haul” videos online encourage overconsumption and make it seem as though it’s normal to purchase so many clothes. The lower prices at the thrift store make it even easier for individuals to purchase clothing in bulk. Although most people won’t end up purchasing that many clothes in one go, it’s important to remember that like most everything else, purchasing clothing is good in moderation. 

Lastly, when donating to thrift stores, donate things that you think someone else would be happy to have. Not your ratty shirt from ten years ago. This will help contribute to the overall quality of your local thrift stores. 

Thrifting is a great way to get cute clothes for a good price, and not only that your money will go towards benefitting your community and those in it. The next time you feel the need to go on a shopping spree, make an effort to shop sustainably and get the best deal for yourself.